Each manager controls, checks and evaluates the work of subordinates and everyone does this in their own way by using or not using technical means. The strategic goal of these actions is to improve the company’s performance and achieve the goals set, to improve the quality of the work of staff with customers.
Tactical goals of check of work with the client
- to evaluate the professional suitability of the employee (whether the employee fulfill the tasks and is commensurate with the current position);
- to understand whether a company needs an employee, or he should be replaced;
- to identify mistakes made by an employee;
- to adjust the work of the employee;
- to identify weaknesses in the work of the company that do not allow the employee to do the work the way the manager wants.
Checking the staff work is an evaluation of the compliance of employees with the requirements to them. The main requirement is a good performance. What kind – depends on the profession. For the teacher – to present the material to children, for the cook – to prepare dishes.
For professions connected with communication, with customers, the main requirement is good work with the client. Examples of such professions: sales manager, customer service manager, consultant, sales consultant, call center operator, administrator, secretary, recruiter, etc.
Checking the work with the client allows you to evaluate the effectiveness of the employee of these and similar professions.
How to check the work of staff with clients
Each quality control of the employees work involves comparing the employee holding a certain position with an employee ideally suited to this position.
For checking you will need:
- to make a list of characteristics that are inherent in the ideal employee;
- to gather information about the employee being checked in the context of the above characteristics;
- to evaluate the employee’s compliance with these characteristics.
- quantitative: the number of contracts concluded, the amount of contracts, the number of customers involved, calls made, goods sold, written letters, new hired employees;
- qualitative: professional knowledge and professional behavior, responsibility, implementation of instructions and maintenance of service standards, personal characteristics.
Personal characteristics: politeness, calmness, empathy, friendliness, sociability, stress-resistance, smiling, willingness to listen, reaction speed, simplicity of explanation, eloquence, pleasant voice, etc.
Gathering information about the work of an employee
Representative actions at work with the client:
- communication with clients;
involves the provision of sufficient information (it is also important not to overdo it), polite attitude, sincere interest in communication, benevolence. While live communication the personal characteristics are demonstrated significantly .
- communication with the client on the phone;
involves the same actions as by live communication. The employee’s reaction to a phone call is indicative: he hurries to pick up the phone or waits to be answered instead of him.
- business correspondence with the client;
Correspondence is the same communication, therefore – the same actions as by live communication. The speed of response in this case is how quickly the employee responds to a letter or request.
Correspondence with the client is accessible to a small group of people (the manager, the system administrator), but is not accessible to the colleague.
Correspondence is indicative in evaluating of employee integrity. By live communication of the employee with the client the witness of conversation is the person standing nearby. The truths will not be hidden. When communicating on the phone you do not know the truth. After reading correspondence, it becomes clear whether the written information corresponds to what the employee reported.
Companies create scripts of communication with clients, in which it is written in detail what, how, in what order to talk, to do, what questions to ask, what language to use.
It is written in the script-scenarios:
- how to correspond with a client;
- how to communicate with a client on the phone;
- how to run the meeting;
- how the work with the objections of the client, with failures is carried out.
Availability of predefined scripts facilitates the evaluation of the quality of work.
Evaluation of the quality of the employee’s work can be carried out:
- by the manager;
- by colleagues, subordinates, supervisor, clients;
This evaluation is called “360 degrees”. Evaluation is carried out by people who constantly work with an employee. The opinion about him is expressed by four sides: the manager, subordinates, colleagues and clients (from above, from below, near and around) in the number of 7 to 12 people. It is desirable to evaluate positively and critically.
- by HR department or outsourced companies;
- by a secret buyer;
Some person (a secret buyer) refers to the employee as a buyer in order to evaluate and check professionalism. The secret buyer asks questions, provokes the employee, so that he shows the characteristics by which he is evaluated.
It is chosen any scale for evaluating, familiar to those who evaluate: five-point grading, ten-point grading, other. Next to each characteristic one mark is given.
The work of the employee with the client is checked, the quality is evaluated – now it remained for conclusions:
- what mistakes were done while working with the client, how to correct it;
- what are the weaknesses in the company’s work;
- what should be the further check of employees when hiring.
How to start monitoring the work with the client
- Work on the phone. To control the correct work on the phone, record the conversations of employees with clients, this concerns both incoming and outgoing calls. Listen to them and make good scripts so that the employee does not invent what to say, but works on these written texts. Watch for the objections of clients and form new ready-made texts with answers. This will increase the performance of your managers exponentially. You need a record not to track staff, but to improve the quality of calls and work on mistakes.
- Work with correspondens. Here you will also need templates for incoming and outgoing mails. Compile them and monitor their use.
- Work in messengers. To control the work in this direction of communication with clients without the use of technical means is more difficult. If you are working on a computer, you can use a program to track the work of employees.
If you are focused on long-term relationships with clients, try to build the work of your personnel on working with clients well. And without controlling the indicators it is difficult for the manager to implement it.