Human nature is such that everyone wants to get more by spending less effort and resources. This rule also applies to the work of staff – employees want to get paid, doing less work or giving less time. Sometimes such an attitude is defined as violations of employees that we’ll try to figure out.
How the violations of employees are defined
Violation of labour discipline
Violation of labour discipline is an unlawful act or omission of an employee in the case of his guilt presence in any form (intent, negligence or indiscretion), which resulted in non-fulfillment or improper performance of the duties established by the employment contract.
Violation of service discipline
Violation of labour discipline, applied to public servants (government bodies, police). Violation of labour discipline and violation of the contract by the employee (agreement, labour agreement) are related. The first generates the second, and the second often arises from the first.
The most common types of violations in companies
Examples of violation of discipline in the team
- lateness and early departure from work;
- premature departure for lunch break and lateness after it;
- theft of property, damage to equipment and other property;
- appearance at work under the influence of alcohol, narcotic or toxic intoxication;
- improper performance of official duties – not in full, not in accordance with the established quality criteria;
- violation of labour protection regulations;
- failure to comply with management orders;
- participation in events that undermine the authority of management;
- violation of commercial secrets;
- refusal to attend trainings, if this is required for the qualified performance of labour duties;
- impoliteness expressed towards the client or colleagues.
Detection of violations: consequences, responsibility, punishment
The consequences of violation of discipline are different. Significant (extrem violations) – an accident at the mine due to the failure to comply with the safety regulations that led to the victims. Less serious – the loss of an important buyer because of the disclosure of confidential information about the amount of discounts granted to another buyer. Insignificant (offences) – decrease in productivity due to lateness.
The consequences of violation of discipline determine the responsibility of staff for violation:
- Disciplinary. For committing by an employee a disciplinary offense (an action leading to the violation of labour discipline).
- Financial. For material damage.
- Administrative. For committing the administrative offenses, for example, violation of occupational safety and health legislation.
- Criminal. For committing the criminal offenses, for example, violation of occupational safety and health legislation leading to an accident, injury, etc.
Punishments for violation of labour discipline are:
Only one measure is used, either reprimand or dismissal. You can not deliver a reprimand and dismiss.
Punishments for causing material damage:
- financial responsibility;
- denial of incentive rewards (fees, bonuses);
- reduction of reward payments.
Such punishments can be applied together with reprimand or dismissal.
Accounting violations of employees
If the company adheres to the formalized accounting, violations are recorded in writing, and the employee gets to know them against the signature. It also happens with reprimand. In the case of a lateness it is fixed by the employee’s control system. The request for a day off is documented by an application of leave.
If the enterprise does not have such strict accounting, then the appointed employee will monitor and register the violations. In the store this can be a shift supervisor, can be a human resources officer, an accountant, a director.
How can a manager get to know about employees violations
Check and monitor, do not expect that employees will behave honestly and consciously, remember the statistics of the average employee, this principle always works. When control disappears – there is a temptation to break discipline, to leave earlier from work, not having done something .
If the task is delegated, check whether it is completed on time or not. If the employees work according to the established schedule of work – check and keep the time management, whether the store was closed for 5 minutes earlier.